Subject: RE: Producing coasters while trying to create a self boot image
To: None <port-dreamcast@netbsd.org, mli@shebang.de>
From: Simone Caronni <simone.caronni@lisit.it>
List: port-dreamcast
Date: 02/25/2004 10:04:46
Hello!

I had the same problem as you; while doing a bit of research I
discovered that from the time Marcus' page was written the options for
cdrecord have changed; executing the command

cdrecord dev=x,x,x -multi -xa1 data.raw

adds a mode 2 session to the cd, thus broking the MIL-CD format and
producing a coaster.

I resolved the thing using (under Fedora linux)

cdrecord dev=x,x,x -multi -xa data.raw

which adds a mode 1 session to the image.

Funny thing is that while reading man pages under Fedora the option is
clearly described, -xa is used for mode1, while -xa1 produces 23xx bytes
data tracks. If I read the man pages from NetBSD (web) the option -xa1
and -xa2 produce always 2048 bytes format data tracks...

http://netbsd.gw.com/cgi-bin/man-cgi?cdrecord+pkg+NetBSD-current

More than funny, on Schily's man page for cdrecord 2.0 there's no -xa or
  -xa1 option described in the man page....

http://www.fokus.gmd.de/research/cc/glone/employees/joerg.schilling/private/man/cdrecord-2.0.html

Why are all different?

Not on the list,
regards.