Subject: Got a new (used) dreamcast, other stuff
To: None <port-dreamcast@netbsd.org>
From: Andy R <quadreverb@yahoo.com>
List: port-dreamcast
Date: 11/16/2003 07:53:27
I finally got another functioning Dreamcast. My old
one had a gdrom drive failure. And I might look into
getting that fixed since I have nothing to lose. Or is
it possible to load programs to it over the serial
port? I'll have to do some research.

Anyway, I have an experience that I'm going to share
that may help someone else out. I went down to
GameSpot (because they usually have the best prices on
this stuff), and there was a guy just getting his
Dreamcast checked out for trade in. It was being
tested, and I saw it running. They decided to let the
guy sell it to me directly instead of taking it as
trade first. They were going to give him $12, so I
offered $20 and that was it. On the way home I bumped
it slightly on the door, and of course, it no longer
would boot any gdrom disc. I found that a piece of
fuzz dislodged from under the laser and stuck to it.
So I cleaned that with alcohol, and then found that it
would boot all my games but none of my burned NetBSD
discs. This one is a July 2000 model, my old one is
October 2000, so it should work. On a lark I put the
IP uploader program on a black colored CD-R disc, and
it worked. So now I have a functioning dreamcast
again.

Should I bother trying to build stable on it? I wanted
to do it just to see what happened. Then I was going
to go to current and give it a workout. I'm still on
Josh's build from around the beginning of the year,
and my kernel says 1.6L. Can I use this to build
stable on itself or should I just start new?