Subject: Re: New attempt at building a NetBSD Dreamcast kernel
To: Gregg C Levine <drwho8@worldnet.att.net>
From: Harold Gutch <logix@foobar.franken.de>
List: port-dreamcast
Date: 09/25/2003 10:03:50
On Wed, Sep 24, 2003 at 08:17:58PM -0400, Gregg C Levine wrote:
> Hello from Gregg C Levine
> As the subject states, I am making a "New attempt at building a NetBSD
> Dreamcast kernel". This time I have a NetBSD/i386 machine running, its
> running 1.6.1. Do I simply install the standard "cross" tool chain? Also
> what about GCC for SH4 processors? I presume that gets built by the host
> itself, following the guidelines inside the howto on that subject.

I'm not really sure what you mean by the "standard cross tool
chain".  If you mean stuff in pkgsrc/cross, then no, you don't
need to install that.  You pretty much only need to do the
following:

  # cd /usr/src
  # ./build.sh -m dreamcast tools
  # ./build.sh -m dreamcast kernel
  # ./build.sh -m dreamcast distribution

This works on NetBSD-CURRENT, but I'm pretty sure that it should
work just the same on NetBSD 1.6.1 as well.  These commands will
crossbuild the toolchain (including a cross compiler), your
kernel, and all of the userland.  I also have the following in my
/etc/mk.conf:

  OBJMACHINE=yes
  MKOBJDIRS=yes
  MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX=/usr/obj

which makes the build-process from above compile everything in
the /usr/obj tree.

> Is there anything else I have missed?

You missed posting the errors you're got when trying to build
NetBSD :).

bye,
  Harold