Subject: Re: AICA audio driver
To: None <ryo@nerv.org, port-dreamcast@netbsd.org>
From: Adrian McMenamin <adrian@mcmen.demon.co.uk>
List: port-dreamcast
Date: 08/25/2003 01:30:58
On Wednesday 20 August 2003 12:05, ryo@nerv.org wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I wrote an aidio driver for dreamcast, and I post it to netbsd-bugs.
>
>   http://mail-index.NetBSD.org/netbsd-bugs/2003/08/19/0008.html
>
> * AICA has 64 PCM channels. but this driver support only 2 channels
>   as left and right.
> * 4bit ADPCM, Signed Linear 8 and 16bit PCM supported
>   (Other encodings are emulated)
>

> Unfortunately there's not enough speed to decode mp3.
> Will somebody please optimize mpg123 for SH4? :-)
>

> enjoy

Excellent.

When I wrote the Linux OSS/Free sound driver back in 2001 I found that al=
l the=20
mp3 problems were in kernel space, not user space. I fixed up the ioctls =
and=20
made the kernel code a bit sleeker and then the mp3s played fine. However=
,=20
the driver more or less locks the system at high sample rates to ensure t=
he=20
g2 bus transfers are done properly (as still haven't got g2 dma working).

Have scanned your code and the variable names, if nothing else, suggest y=
ou=20
have got dma working -  as such I would have thought you should have no=20
problem once you've tidied up the code a bit.

And if you have got g2 dma working I'll have to take a closer look!

Adrian