Subject: Re: Updated boot(8) man page
To: Alex Kirk <alex@schnarff.com>
From: Harold Gutch <logix@foobar.franken.de>
List: port-dreamcast
Date: 07/08/2003 09:28:14
On Tue, Jul 08, 2003 at 04:55:08AM +0000, Alex Kirk wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I've finished my first draft of the boot(8) man page, which is attached and
> available at http://www.kirknet.net/boot.8. Andy R was even kind enough to
> forward along a copy of that DiscJuggler image, which I've put up at
> http://www.kirknet.net/netbsd.cdi.
>
> I would appreciate any comments, positive or negative, on this revision.
> Hopefully we can get it to the point it's committ-able.

I don't quite see the point in your Manpage.  All of the
information there is available on the Port-Webpage anyway, and
you usually won't read that manpage unless you already have a
working installation (I guess only very very few people will read
the boot-manpages of different architectures on their
NetBSD-systems).  Also, to me a boot manpage should be more
technically oriented ("How does it work?").  To me, your text is
closer to a FAQ or "HOWTO" than a manpage.  I don't really think
a boot manpage should consist of a number of steps one should
blindly follow to get NetBSD onto one's Dreamcast (where it
often even only says "download this from there", especially
without any reasoning or such why such a step is needed.

Don't get me wrong, I highly appreciate the work and effort you
have done, but I personally don't think that an FAQ should go
into NetBSD as a manpage.  That's what the Port-Webpage (and the
FAQ there) is for.

bye,
  Harold