Subject: Re: Clustering the dreamcast?
To: None <port-dreamcast@netbsd.org>
From: Christopher John Thomas <christopher.thomas@rogers.com>
List: port-dreamcast
Date: 05/28/2003 00:36:58
On Tue, 27 May 2003, Nik Reiman wrote:

> Completely agreed.  Quite frankly, I don't think the DC is enough bang
> for the buck to justify trying to cluster them right now (as much as I
> love running it).

  Even at $30 a pop, the bang for the buck ends up being too low. I costed
out cluster hardware at one point, and if your problem is easily
parallelized (as it would have to be for a Dreamcast cluster), the best
option turns out to be PCs on highly integrated motherboards.

  A Dreamcast cluster would still be cool to build, of course, but it
would purely be for "cool" factor. Just like a Furby cluster...

  Anyone interested in serious kitbashing could probably put together an
SH4/NetBSD based cluster on custom boards that would have adequate
price/performance and enough interconnect and memory bandwidth to make the
exercise worthwhile, but that would be quite a bit of work, and only
cost-effective with hundreds of processors on dozens of boards.

Regards,
				-Christopher Thomas