Subject: Re: Clustering the dreamcast?
To: None <port-dreamcast@netbsd.org>
From: Nik Reiman <nik@aboleo.net>
List: port-dreamcast
Date: 05/27/2003 14:24:30
Completely agreed.  Quite frankly, I don't think the DC is enough bang
for the buck to justify trying to cluster them right now (as much as I
love running it).  Really, I think the bottleneck here is in the BBA
adapter, which I'm sure most of us on this list know is a bit hard to
come by.
However, if you're planning on clustering the DC, computational power
is going to be the limiting factor in terms of time will probably end
up being CPU power, not bandwidth.  To this effect, I'd really like to
see modem support and PPP, and boot the DC from a cdrom which would
have everything it needed rather than via NFS.  From what I've read,
writing a modem driver would be somewhat difficult, so I don't know how
realistic this would be.
However, if it could be done, you can easily find used/old DC's for
20-30USD, which would be a good start for clustering.

Just my $0.02

-Nik

--
|| Nik Reiman || nik@aboleo.net || http://www.aboleo.net ||