Subject: Re: Clustering the dreamcast?
To: Andy R <quadreverb@yahoo.com>
From: Alex Kirk <alex@schnarff.com>
List: port-dreamcast
Date: 05/27/2003 18:15:27
This is a mimegpg-signed message.  If you see this text, it means that
your E-mail software does not support MIME-formatted messages.

--=_mimegpg-www-8368-1054059332-0001

Thanks for forwarding that along -- it is interesting. It'd be even more so
if I could pry my wife's hands off of the PS2 long enough to boot Linux on
it. ;-)

This probably will become a phenomenon in the future with some of the game
consoles out there, as they grow to include Ethernet, hard drives, etc. --
assuming that Nintendo, Sony, etc. don't de-legitimize the concept by using
Microsoft's Xbox approach. The problem, though, is still cost. I own several
game consoles -- the original NES, SuperNES, N64, a PS2, and my Dreamcast --
and the problem is that even the relatively old ones, even on Ebay, are
still not cheap enough to mass-purchase. I mean, when the DC is still $50
and the BBA is $100, I don't see any systems that could feasibly do this
being cheap enough for at least 5+ years.

Of course, I'm still drooling over the concept of the PS3 and its cell
architecture -- but it'll be a long, long time before anyone could afford to
cluster that.

Alex Kirk

If you're wondering about an odd attachment to this mail that you can't
seem to open, it's my digital/cryptographic signature. It's like signing
a regular letter, only much tougher to forge. If you want to learn more
about it, go to http://www.rsasecurity.com/rsalabs/faq/2-2-2.html.