Subject: Re: Update time!
To: Josh Tolbert <hemi@scoundrelz.net>
From: Andy R <quadreverb@yahoo.com>
List: port-dreamcast
Date: 01/06/2003 20:17:30

http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-dreamcast/2002/08/31/0011.html

> > Your site still shows you preparing a 32 meg swap
> > file. Was there any value added to using a 64 meg
> > swapfile? I just made one after you had said that
> and
> > didn't ask any questions. I know it's not the best
> > thing to use more swap than you're supposed to
> (cuts
> > into real memory), but I don't like crashes
> either.
> >

> 	Hrm, good question. I haven't thought about the
> problem since I
> stopped running the old build a few months ago. :)
> Since I've had the
> machine running the new world stuff I haven't had a
> single OoM problem,
> though. I think the errors I was seeing were a
> combination of running the
> BBA at 100BaseTX, trying to compile irssi (which
> reboots the machines
> during the POSIX threads build) and just not paying
> enough attention.
> Since I'm now running the BBA at 10BaseT by default
> in the new build I
> haven't had any more problems, but the POSIX threads
> causing a reboot
> still exists. It's definitely something to note in
> the documentation,
> though. I'll update the docs to suggest a 64M swap
> file if the machines
> runs out of memory and swap with a 32M file.
>
> > A quickie flowchart of the "booting events" that
> take
> > place may help one grasp the process better. I
> just
> > started to learn netbooting when you put this
> stuff
> > up, and I'm still not very comfortable with it.
> >

> 	I'm still not very comfortable with it, either. I
> have a fair idea
> of what's going on, but generally I just keep
> plugging away at it till it
> works. The guide would have been out a day earlier
> if I hadn't got
> frustrated with the NFS export due to me forgetting
> to turn on rpcbind in
> /etc/rc.conf on the NetBSD PC and went to bed. :)
>
> 	As far as a timeline, how much detail are you
> looking for? I could
> see starting with the Dreamcast powered on and
> waiting at the IP Upload
> Slave, but not really before that since Marcus' site
> covers how the IP
> Upload Slave works in detail. Would something
> graphical be worth it, ir
> would a text explanation be adequate?

I think a software representation of what is
happening, assuming the major pieces are working,
would probably be fine... I may be able to do this
myself once I figure out what you're getting at with
this ip upload slave thingy. My DC is sitting there
right now with IP 0.0.0.0 and Listening to port 4711.
It took me a minute to figure out to replace
1ST_READ.BIN with 1IPLOAD.BIN in Marcus' directions on
making a boot CD, but at least I didn't burn a coaster
figuring it out.

I'm working on the rest now. One small tidbit, it
looks like you don't have the o+t bit set on the /tmp
directory. Not sure if this is critical here, but I
believe this is the standard way that /tmp should be
set up.

I'm sure I'll have a million newbie questions about
this soon.

Thanks, this stuff you've done is great.

Andy