Subject: Re: Followup to: Failure to boot CDR on Dec. 2000 DC and some
To: Rafal Boni <rafal@attbi.com>
From: Josh Tolbert <hemi@scoundrelz.net>
List: port-dreamcast
Date: 12/18/2002 13:28:49
Hi Rafal,
	Congrats on building an image that works in the older Dreamcast.
	I remember reading somewhere about a hardware mod to allow the use
of CD-RWs in Dreamcasts, but I don't know if it would be worthwhile to
attempt on the newer Dreamcast cause I'm not familiar with how they are
disabling CD-R read support.
	I've never tried to boot a data-data CD; I just stick with the
mixed-mode audio/data CDs I've been making (and provide files/directions
for) cause they work.
	The VGA adapters work great. Both of the bootable .isos that are
available on my page have the VGA adapter bit turned on, so they should
(and do; I run mine through a KVM switch to a VGA monitor) work with
either a VGA monitor through an adapter or straight to a TV. The DC video
looks very sharp on a nice VGA monitor, too.
	If you decide to whip up your own images, Marcus' pages have all
the documentation you'll need to find which bit to turn on in the config
file that's used to create the first blocks of the .iso.
	As an aside, I'm going to get around to updating the CD images and
world tarballs I have available to the newer release NetBSD sources, but
I've been pretty busy with other projects and the like. I'm also going to
jerk out a lot of the extra stuff (pkg tree, a few extra thing I compiled)
to get the final tarball size down some.

Thanks,
Josh