Subject: Followup to: Failure to boot CDR on Dec. 2000 DC and some questions
To: None <port-dreamcast@netbsd.org>
From: Rafal Boni <rafal@attbi.com>
List: port-dreamcast
Date: 12/18/2002 12:42:58
A week or two ago, I wrote about a Dec. 2000 DC console that wouldn't boot
any CDRs I threw at it.  In the meantime, I picked up another DC console --
this one made sometime in 1999 -- and it boots the netboot kernel CD image
I cooked up from Josh Tolbert's images and instructions.  I haven't yet
tossed it on my home network because the TV isn't anywhere near a network
drop (yet 8-) and I don't have a VGA cable, but I don't imagine I'll have
any problems...

Interestingly enough (or not 8-), even the older unit will not boot any of
the CDRs in the data-data format that all the DC hacker sites claim are
guaranteed bootable on any DC (and which didn't boot on the Dec. 2000 model
either).

One last question -- I have an overabundance of VGA monitors and don't
have an extra TV to hook the DC up to for the time being (eventually,
I'd like to plop it in the entertainment center and use it as an MP3
player or remote terminal instead of the laptop)... Has anyone used
the DC port with a VGA cable/adapter, and have any tips to report?
Alternately, does anyone know whether it's expected to "Just Work" or
whether it's known not to work?

If there's a chance of it working, I'll likely pick one up, since it
would be nice to make use of some of those spare monitors and since
the TV output is pretty crappy due to interlacing.

Thanks!
--rafal

----
Rafal Boni                                                     rafal@attbi.com
  We are all worms.  But I do believe I am a glowworm.  -- Winston Churchill