Subject: Re: =?iso-8859-1?Q?=22make build=22?= died
To: None <port-dreamcast@netbsd.org>
From: Alex Kirk <alex@schnarff.com>
List: port-dreamcast
Date: 10/02/2002 01:28:12
Well, I've pretty much answered my own question. I'm still not quite sure
why the build died -- though my suspicion is that I actually ran out of swap
space (since, before I had swap space, I got signal 11 deaths on packages
when I ran out of RAM).

As far as the shell dying, though, it's definitely a case of compatibility
between the kernel and the program. It appears that, in some cases, if the
kernel is newer than the program -- for example, I had a kernel compiled
from release sources, and bash from Josh's 1.6F tarball -- the program can't
handle it, and will coredump. I've fixed this issue by switching my default
shell to /bin/sh, which built and installed OK, and then rebuilding bash.

If anyone has any insight as to why this would occur, it'd be sincerely
appreciated. Meanwhile, I think I'm going to try using the build.sh script
to rebuild world, and hopefully be successful this time.

Alex Kirk