Subject: Re: "make build" died
To: Alex Kirk <alex@schnarff.com>
From: Andy R <quadreverb@yahoo.com>
List: port-dreamcast
Date: 10/01/2002 20:57:43
--- Alex Kirk <alex@schnarff.com> wrote:
> As far as the shell dying, though, it's definitely a
> case of compatibility
> between the kernel and the program. It appears that,
> in some cases, if the
> kernel is newer than the program -- for example, I
> had a kernel compiled
> from release sources, and bash from Josh's 1.6F
> tarball -- the program can't
> handle it, and will coredump. I've fixed this issue
> by switching my default
> shell to /bin/sh, which built and installed OK, and
> then rebuilding bash.

Ah yeah. Me not being a -current buff, I think I led
you in the wrong direction last time. I was reading
about -current and they specifically warn you about
kernel incompatibilities. They don't try to lock down
binary compatibility in -current like they do in
-release. So you're on your own sometimes. This
happens to be one of those times it looks like.

(Still not able to build and burn my own kernel by the
way, sidetracked trying to netboot my Sparc1...)

Andy