Subject: Re: "make build" died
To: Alex Kirk <alex@schnarff.com>
From: Andy R <quadreverb@yahoo.com>
List: port-dreamcast
Date: 09/30/2002 08:57:44
--- Alex Kirk <alex@schnarff.com> wrote:
> First off, pardon the appearance of this message if
> it's odd; I'mdacoming in
> here from Lynx.dadaIn any case, here's the point: I
> decided to try
> rebuilding the entiredasystem from scratch after my
> troubles loading a new
> kernel, esp.dasince I would be upgrading to the
> official release version in
> thedaprocess. I figured it would be as simple as
> grabbing the sourcedavia
> AnonCVS and then doing a "make build" from /usr/src
> as root.dadaMy first
> attempt at this failed after several hours, but it
> wasn't adabig surprise: I
> made the mistake of trying this from an SSHdawindow
> on my Windows box, and
> that system died -- thus the daterminal controlling
> the make build
> died.dadaThe second time, I pulled up to the
> Dreamcast's main console
> anddarepeated the process (with no steps in
> between). It ran for aboutda26
> hours or so, before it died out with an error of
> "got signal 11"dasomewhere
> in installing /usr/share (I believe it'd
> compileddaeverything, and that it
> was just putting things in place by then).daI've got
> a log of the whole
> thing if it would be helpful to seedaexactly where
> it died.dadaIn any case,
> I'm left with a bit of a quandry now. Large parts of
> damy system, i.e. all
> of /bin and /sbin, were successfully
> installed;dahowever, obviously, the
> whole thing has not. Since I had problemsdathat
> other messages on
> mail-index.netbsd.org (though not on the daDreamcast
> port specifically)
> suggested were a result of a conflictdabetween
> binary and kernel versions,
> should I be worried aboutdarebooting? Should I
> attempt to pick up where I
> left off somehow?daOr do I need to lay down Josh's
> world files again and try
> thisdawhole process one more time?dadaJust as
> important, of course -- why
> the heck would this happen?dadaAlex Kirk

Yeah, this message does look quite odd...

I never tried this but I was going to. Before doing it
I was going to tar off my entire dreamcast directory
on my NFS server so this kind of thing would never be
a problem. Harold's way of building a virtual device
(or whatever that is called) would be even easier,
simply copy the file over...

I'm not too skilled with builds, but as far as I know
if you failed during the time it was copying binaries,
you may still be fine. There aren't too many times
that you build binaries from the same dot release that
won't be compatible with another (not sure I explained
that too well). IE, if you built some level of 1.6
binaries, your 1.6 kernel shouldn't complain.

Someone please straighten me out if I'm wrong!

Andy