Subject: Re: Content for the HOWTO
To: Andy R <quadreverb@yahoo.com>
From: Alex Kirk <alex@schnarff.com>
List: port-dreamcast
Date: 09/26/2002 19:58:55
Andy,

I feel your pain about netboot. Those manuals/FAQs aren't much help.

> and the current doc doesn't do much to help.

By the current doc, do you mean the updated one that got posted around 1
p.m. EST today? Or the old one? If it's the new one, what could I do to make
it more accessible?

> o Overview of netbooting the dreamcast (what is needed
> to start in general)
> o Setting up NFS server
> o Setting up DHCP

Methinks you're talking about the old once, since I believe I covered the
above topics in the new HOWTO.

> o How the kernel needs to be configured to netboot
> (not really relevant if they download a kernel, but
> useful to know)

*I* would still like to know about that. Anyone who has a clue here -- help!

> o How to netboot with a kernel loader instead of a
> "boot disk" with a kernel already on it (I think Izumi
> is working on this).

I think that'll be added once Izumi's got that in place.

> I'm willing to help.

Gracias. You've already been good at making suggestions -- keep them coming,
that's the best help you can give a writer.

Alex Kirk