Subject: Re: Updated HOWTO
To: Alex Kirk <alex@schnarff.com>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
List: port-dreamcast
Date: 09/26/2002 10:52:24
On Wed, 25 Sep 2002, Alex Kirk wrote:
> Now that my system is basically in working order, and I've had Josh's HOWTOs
> to poach from ;-), I decided it was time to update the official HOWTO. I
> went ahead and grabbed http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/dreamcast/howto.list as
> instructed by howto.html; when I ran "make howto.list", I was told it was up
> to date. Obviously, I'm missing something there...but that's what this list
> is for.

I'm looking at a diff between your howto.list and the one in htdocs:

A few comments on the contents:
 * Please remove your name from the Copyright message, it will be in
   the commit log once in-tree. :)
 * Small typo "personaltrial" => "personal trial"
 * Wording in the paragraph replacing the two projects is a bit unclear
   to me. How about: ``For doing useful things, only netboot is useful,
   so only that is described here.'' IMHO it'd still be nice to have
   instructions on doing both, esp. for a "trial" CD :)
 * You can write manpages just as "exports(5)", the .list->.html
   conversion will automatically expand that.
 * At least using a NetBSD NFS server, it's not "maproot=root" but
   "-root=0"
 * "ps aux | grep [mount/nfs]d" is not ready for cut&paste,
   "ps aux | egrep '(mount|nfs)'d" is.
 * besides nfs_server=yes, mention lockd=yes and statd=yes
 * start dhcp by putting dhcpd=yes into /etc/rc.conf and then running
   "sh /etc/rc.d/dhcpd start".
 * Maybe use an example "/home/dreamcast" instead of some non-existing
   "<dreamcast-world>"
 * Maybe inline the fstab example. It's easier to print etc.

> Could someone tell me how to propery make the new howto.html, or do it
> themselves, so the official HOWTO can be posted? My updated file is at
> http://www.schnarff.com/netbsd/howto.list. Josh's docs are great, and I
> don't propose to replace them; I just figure that newbies coming in at this
> should get something a little more up-to-date.

 * grab htdocs:
   env CVS_RSH=ssh cvs -d anoncvs@anoncvs.netbsd.org:/cvsroot co htdocs
 * Frob the .list file
 * Run "make" to generate the .html file
 * Submit updates by mailing them to www@netbsd.org or me.

> If you all like this HOWTO, I'll be happy to update the FAQ as well. Please
> let me know if I've made mistakes and/or you want to see other items
> included.

We'd be happy if you could send us updates for the FAQ as well.

 - Hubert

* Basics -> http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2001/05/24/ipv6_tutorial.html
* Setup  -> http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2001/06/01/ipv6_tutorial.html
Of course with your #1 IPv6 ready operating system -> http://www.NetBSD.org/