Subject: Re: Kernel Thoughts
To: Alex Kirk <alex@schnarff.com>
From: Andy R <quadreverb@yahoo.com>
List: port-dreamcast
Date: 09/24/2002 08:26:14
--- Alex Kirk <alex@schnarff.com> wrote:
> First off, it should be noted that I successfully
> built a kernel from the
> latest release sources this morning, my only change
> to GENERIC being the
> addition of one option:
>
> options         WSEMUL_80x25
>
> This was a guess at best, since I could find no
> documentation on how to
> change the terminal size. In any case, it worked, so
> I guess I guessed
> right.

Cool, how does it look on the TV?

> What was strange, though, is I noticed that this
> kernel was just about
> double the size of the one Josh has made available
> to the world. Is the
> Dreamcast GENERIC that bloated? Or is Josh's that
> stripped-down? For that
> matter, Josh, where is your kernel config?

Comment out the MEMORY_DISK_ROOT_SIZE options (I
believe that's correct, look through the archives for
the answer for sure, Marcus answered it).

> My second thought involves booting from this new
> kernel. Since I intend to
> play around quite a bit with new kernels --
> including from remote locations
>  -- it seems very much impractical to have to burn a
> new CD for each kernel.
> I know that, when I had a CD set up from the 1999
> kernel referenced by the
> HOWTO, the system loaded that kernel, and then got
> another one (or so I
> assumed) after finding root via NFS.

Josh was playing with this. I think you use the
IPSLAVE program to do it, but I haven't figured it out
yet. I figure I won't be building kernels too much so
I'm fine with burning kernels, when I actually learn
how to do it! I'm still using Josh's kernel from his
howto.

> What I'm wondering is: first off, am I correct about
> the second kernel
> instructs the system to
> go  find a new kernel via NFS and load it? If so,
> how?

I've asked this too, but I never got an answer. I'm
not sure if it's possible to load a kernel, then turn
control over to a new kernel and overwrite the
previous one though... I must warn you, I have no idea
what I'm talking about.

Andy