Subject: Kernel Thoughts
To: None <port-dreamcast@netbsd.org>
From: Alex Kirk <alex@schnarff.com>
List: port-dreamcast
Date: 09/24/2002 14:50:26
Now that I have swap space tamed and packages are building, I decided it
would probably be a good idea to start tweaking my kernel -- especially
since my TV has limited configurability, and the last few lines of the
terminal are off-screen. Not surprisingly, this has led me to some
questions.

First off, it should be noted that I successfully built a kernel from the
latest release sources this morning, my only change to GENERIC being the
addition of one option:

options         WSEMUL_80x25

This was a guess at best, since I could find no documentation on how to
change the terminal size. In any case, it worked, so I guess I guessed
right.

What was strange, though, is I noticed that this kernel was just about
double the size of the one Josh has made available to the world. Is the
Dreamcast GENERIC that bloated? Or is Josh's that stripped-down? For that
matter, Josh, where is your kernel config?

My second thought involves booting from this new kernel. Since I intend to
play around quite a bit with new kernels -- including from remote locations
 -- it seems very much impractical to have to burn a new CD for each kernel.
I know that, when I had a CD set up from the 1999 kernel referenced by the
HOWTO, the system loaded that kernel, and then got another one (or so I
assumed) after finding root via NFS.

What I'm wondering is: first off, am I correct about the second kernel
go  find a new kernel via NFS and load it? If so, how?

Alex Kirk