Subject: Re: Permissions on swap
To: Joshua Coombs <jcoombs@gwi.net>
From: Harold Gutch <logix@foobar.franken.de>
List: port-dreamcast
Date: 09/23/2002 18:38:07
On Mon, Sep 23, 2002 at 10:35:28AM -0400, Joshua Coombs wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 23, 2002 at 02:20:25PM +0000, Alex Kirk wrote:
> > I'm going to respond primarily to Josh's post, since others (i.e. "fix your
> > /etc/exports" without mentioning what's wrong) weren't terribly helpful.
> >
> > > 	is /mnt/exports/dcswap it's own partition?
> >
> > No, it's not. I have all of one partition on this drive. Is this going to be
> > problematic? What *exactly* are the rules for where the swapfile can live?
> > Why?
> >

> Some nfs implimentations do not allow one to arbitrarily pick mount
> points to export.  Any mount point exported must be a fs mount point, so
> unlsess you mount /mnt/export/dcswap as is't own fs, those OS's won't
> export it.  If that is the case they will puke when trying to start
> mountd.  NetBSD has no such issues and you can just pick mount points
> that donot reside on fs boundries and it'll happily behaive properly.

Quoting "man exports":

  A host may be specified only once for each local filesystem on the server

You can export any given directory within a certain local
filesystem, but you can't export another directory in this
filesystem to the same host.  I guess that's what happened in
Alex' case.  As a workaround you can export / to your Dreamcast.
I'd suggest creating an extra partition for the swapfile via a
vnode though.  That way you won't have to repartition or add a
new harddisk.

bye,
  Harold