Subject: Re: Permissions on swap
To: Alex Kirk <alex@schnarff.com>
From: Joshua Coombs <jcoombs@gwi.net>
List: port-dreamcast
Date: 09/23/2002 10:35:28
On Mon, Sep 23, 2002 at 02:20:25PM +0000, Alex Kirk wrote:
> I'm going to respond primarily to Josh's post, since others (i.e. "fix your
> /etc/exports" without mentioning what's wrong) weren't terribly helpful.
>
> > 	is /mnt/exports/dcswap it's own partition?
>
> No, it's not. I have all of one partition on this drive. Is this going to be
> problematic? What *exactly* are the rules for where the swapfile can live?
> Why?

Some nfs implimentations do not allow one to arbitrarily pick mount
points to export.  Any mount point exported must be a fs mount point, so
unlsess you mount /mnt/export/dcswap as is't own fs, those OS's won't
export it.  If that is the case they will puke when trying to start
mountd.  NetBSD has no such issues and you can just pick mount points
that donot reside on fs boundries and it'll happily behaive properly.

Joshua Coombs