Subject: Re: Permissions on swap
To: Josh Tolbert <hemi@scoundrelz.net>
From: Alex Kirk <alex@schnarff.com>
List: port-dreamcast
Date: 09/23/2002 14:20:25
I'm going to respond primarily to Josh's post, since others (i.e. "fix your
/etc/exports" without mentioning what's wrong) weren't terribly helpful.

> 	is /mnt/exports/dcswap it's own partition?

No, it's not. I have all of one partition on this drive. Is this going to be
problematic? What *exactly* are the rules for where the swapfile can live?
Why?

> 	Since NetBSD 1.6 has been released, I'm thinking about redoing the
> kernel and world I have made available to others...Is it worth it, or do
> you guys think the 1.6F stuff is new enough?

It probably wouldn't hurt to make this all available. Andy, though, makes
the very good point that people ought to be building their own stuff, and
that having info on that would be best.

> 	My Dreamcast has been turned off for a bit, partially because I
> needed the space to test a machine I was building for a friend and mostly
> cause I just don't know where to go from here. I'm not much of a
> programmer, so making any "code" changes is generally past me. :( I don't
> have even the foggiest idea where to start.

Again, I'm going to have to agree with Andy that getting this thing
explained to the point where non-kernel hackers can figure it out is an
accomplishment in and of itself. I think where you might go from this point
is official documentation -- I'd like to work with you to update all of the
stuff on NetBSD.org (if nothing else, I could come up with all the Q's for
the FAQ ;-). Beyond that...perhaps it'd be a good place to learn
programming, since you're obviously smart enoguh to figure it all out.

Alex Kirk