Subject: Re: Permissions on swap
To: Josh Tolbert , Alex Kirk <alex@schnarff.com>
From: Andy R <quadreverb@yahoo.com>
List: port-dreamcast
Date: 09/23/2002 06:38:31
--- Josh Tolbert <hemi@scoundrelz.net> wrote:
> Hi Alex,
> 	is /mnt/exports/dcswap it's own partition? You
> can't export any
> arbitrary directory via nfs, you have to export
> directories that are mount
> points. I got stuck on this myself until someone
> else on the list cleared
> this up for me.

Maybe I don't understand this... I don't think my swap
directory is an actual mount point... Here's my
output:

On NFS server:

(roadrunner)[/home/dreamcast/dcswap] > ls -la
total 131156
drwxr-xr-x  2 root  wheel       512 Aug 31 22:13 .
drwxr-xr-x  4 root  wheel       512 Sep  1 21:27 ..
-rw-------  1 root  wheel  67108864 Sep 20 19:57 swap

/etc/exports:
/home/dreamcast/dc -maproot=root:wheel dreamcast
/home/dreamcast/dcswap/swap -maproot=root:wheel
dreamcast

And fstab on the dreamcast:
192.168.1.7:/home/dreamcast/dc / nfs rw,auto 0 0
192.168.1.7:/home/dreamcast/dcswap/swap none swap
sw,nfsmntpt=/swap 0 0
/kern /kern kernfs rw
/proc /proc procfs rw 0 0
/dev/gdrom0c /mnt/gdrom cd9660 ro,noauto 0 0

I hope this all comes through OK because this Yahoo
client tends to wrap.

> 	Since NetBSD 1.6 has been released, I'm thinking
> about redoing the
> kernel and world I have made available to
> others...Is it worth it, or do
> you guys think the 1.6F stuff is new enough?

I'm flying completely in the dark here so I may be
making a fool of myself...

Why not make directions on how to build your own
kernel and world once the dreamcast is booted? I built
a few kernels but I never bothered learning how to
burn them (scattering the binary and all the rest
seems complicated, but admittedly, I just haven't
taken the effort...). I'm pretty sure mine is stable
enough to build a world as well... Or is it? Don't
know. Worth a try.

Again, I haven't checked any doc to know if this stuff
is already out there so if it is I'll take the
obligatory RTFM (with link of course) and go on my
merry way...

> 	My Dreamcast has been turned off for a bit,
> partially because I
> needed the space to test a machine I was building
> for a friend and mostly
> cause I just don't know where to go from here. I'm
> not much of a
> programmer, so making any "code" changes is
> generally past me. :( I don't
> have even the foggiest idea where to start.

Yeah, but what you have done so far has gone a long
way toward getting this thing workable for the average
dude. I'm one of them. I boot mine all the time. I
think (my memory is bad) my cousin actually programs
for SH4 so he got a kick out of the dreamcast when I
gave him a login. It's just neat.

Thanks,
Andy