Subject: Discjuggler based disk works, other questions
To: None <port-dreamcast@netbsd.org>
From: Gregg C Levine <drwho8@worldnet.att.net>
List: port-dreamcast
Date: 09/10/2002 17:22:17
Hello from Gregg C Levine
I have a report to make. The contributed disk created by a fellow worker,
and available from a location, that's away from the NetBSD home site, just
works. (I will be quoting from the website here. Port page from Dreamcast,
and Faq for same. Copyrights if any are duly recognized.)
This is the one I mean:
Where can I find a bootable NetBSD/dreamcast CD image? (top)
There are some old but useful DiskJuggler images at
http://www.roadsign.com/dc/.

 I fed it to a copy of DJ4, and made sure my blank CD-R was in the drive. It
then made the disk. Back here, I fed it to my Dreamcast. The booting
process, it could be called that, worked much the same as the trascript for
one other setup. It identified my machine, complained about a few things,
and worked with the matching keyboard. But when it wanted the disk settings,
that's where it all came tumbling down. It wanted the root settings, and a
few other ones.
I tried doing what it says here:
2001-01-22: GD-ROM device driver working
Marcus Comstedt has committed a working GD-ROM device driver. If you've
burned a CD with NetBSD binaries, you can now type "gdrom0" when you get to
the "root device" prompt (leave the dump device field empty, and type
"cd9660" as file system).
I think I tried that. It barfed. That was the second go round. Any other
suggestions for that?

Now about this one:
How do I compile NetBSD/dreamcast under Windows? (top)
To build NetBSD/dreamcast under Windows will take a functional Cygwin
installation, a working sh4 cross-compiler, the NetBSD code and a great deal
of patience. More detail will hopefully be made available in the not too
distant future.

Has anyone even attempted that? I don't have a NetBSD/i386 system up and
running this week, so I'd be needing advice here. I just want to try the
kernel first.
Gregg C Levine drwho8@worldnet.att.net
"Oh my!" The Second Doctor's nearly favorite phrase.