Subject: Re: wscons questions
To: Josh Tolbert <hemi@scoundrelz.net>
From: Marcus Comstedt <marcus@mc.pp.se>
List: port-dreamcast
Date: 09/02/2002 17:46:02
Josh Tolbert <hemi@scoundrelz.net> writes:

> Hi Marcus,
> 	Hrmmm...I'm not sure how to describe what I find lacking in
> wscons.

There is a layering here.  In the bottom, there is the device specific
driver (such as the PVR driver).  Then there is wsdisplay, which is
port independant, and handles translating streams of characters into
drawing commands, thus allowing you to print text.  On top of that
(and wskbd) sits the main wscons thingy (also port independant), which
makes it into a proper console, connected to a keyboard.

Only things regarding the PVR driver are really relevant to discuss
here.  If there is a problem with a higher level, then it affects the
platform independant code, and needs to be discussed on a list like
netbsd-developers or tech-kern.  Be prepared to be met with a
very... uhm... conservative attitude though.

> Virtual console support (I'm probably calling that the wrong
> thing; I want ctr+alt+F console switching) would be nice.

That's in the platform independent wscons code.  AFAIK, virtual
consoles are not supported on systems with bitmap displays.  Many
other systems also have bitmap displays, so it's not just a Dreamcast
issue.

> 	My ultimate goal for my Dreamcast is to use it as a remote xterm.
> To do that, X needs to run, and from what I understand X requires wscons
> to support the framebuffer device you're using. I have yet to try to
> compile X, so I don't know if the wscons assumption is true. I'm sorry if
> I don't have things straight. :(

Yeah, unfortunately, the wscons system doesn't really abstract on the
actual framebuffer when you mmap it, so I think you have to add some
platform specific code to the X server for each particular framebuffer
implementation.  I could be wrong, but I don't think I am.

> 	Also, to use the Dreamcast as a remote xterm, mouse support is
> almost a necessity. I wish I had more than a cursory grasp of C so I could
> work on a mouse driver. Are there any hardware driver quick guides out
> there? :)

Dunno.  Looking at the keyboard driver might be a start, since it's
also a Maple device driver.

  // Marcus