Subject: Re: rtk0 and swap space problems, along with a question about wscons
To: Gregg C Levine <drwho8@worldnet.att.net>
From: Andy R <quadreverb@yahoo.com>
List: port-dreamcast
Date: 08/31/2002 21:34:12
--- Gregg C Levine <drwho8@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
> Hello from Gregg C Levine
> About wscons, I'm afraid I can't help you there.
> About the hassles with rk0,
> I might. As far as I know, the BBA is indeed wearing
> a RealTek chipset. It
> also happens that chipset, and the NICs which wear
> them, are accident prone,
> in the Linux/Windows worlds. I don't know about the
> NetBSD world. Also
> support for anything RealTek based, is scarce. A
> suggestion is to check the
> configuration of the settings for NFS, and DHCP.
> Obviously they are correct
> because the system is coming up, but your problems
> say otherwise, also see
> if you can build a 128M swapfile. Since I am now
> convinced that swapping
> over NFS can be done, despite my information to the
> contrary, that might
> solve your problems.

I think you'll find that opinions on the rtk card are
from really, really crappy to just OK. They work fine
for very low traffic and non critical situations, but
they tend to have problems. Probably more problems
than any other PCI 100baseT card I've heard of. If
there is a worse one, I'd like to know about it so I
can stay away!

I use Intel cards too. I find that they get
performance about 20 to 30 percent better than my 3com
cards. Nice.

Andy