Subject: Re: Using the GPU as an FPU under netbsd-dreamcast?
To: None <port-dreamcast@netbsd.org>
From: Matthias Kretschmer <mccratch@gmx.net>
List: port-dreamcast
Date: 08/30/2002 11:24:39
Am Freitag den, 30. August 2002, um 03:57, schrieb Jared H:

> I have a few questions...
>
> Would it be possible to use the awesome visual rendering power of the
> dreamcast as an additional FPU through the use of drivers? Does anybody
> know if something like this is both technically possible and technically
> feasible? Any idea if work on this has ever even been attempted? What
> does everyone think would be required in order for something like this
> happen?

basically the GPU isn't really that featurerich like mordern GPUs found
in the PS2, XBox or modern computers having these fabolous features like
T&L and stuff. For the dreamcast they use a bit advanced Power VR2 (if I
recall correctly) - the builtin Hitachi Super-SH CPU is responsive for
the whole computational stuff with a peak of 1.4GFlops. The cpu has
builtin matrix vector multiplication, vector vector addition and so on.
Btw. can we really call the VR2 a "processing unit"

--
Gruss
   Matthias Kretschmer