Subject: Single-user boot issue corrected.
To: None <port-dreamcast@netbsd.org>
From: Josh Tolbert <hemi@scoundrelz.net>
List: port-dreamcast
Date: 08/29/2002 03:25:04
Hi Dreamcasters,
	I solved the problem of booting in to single-user mode at first.
It had to do with the kernel not being able to determine the root
filesystem itself manually. Once I compiled a new kernel with root on rtk0
type nfs, multi-user boot proceeded without issue.
	I'm still working on the missing files problem. I'm going to grab
the 1.6F current binary tree from releng.netbsd.org and start seeing what
needs to be where.
	I can't compile any ports cause I'm missing everything in
/usr/share/mk, but that's something I'll be working on directly.
	Swap over NFS seems to be working just fine, although I haven't
really pushed the Dreamcast hard memory-wise.
	The NFS-mounted filesystem in general performs better than I
thought it would. Copying pkgsrc.tar.gz to the Dreamcast (via scp)
happened at a rate of around 250 K/s, which I don't think is too shabby
for bouncing between three machines (one of the machines twice).
	I enabled kernfs and procfs, just to make things a bit more
"clean." I also copied the original (unconverted, unscrambled) netbsd
kernel file to /netbsd to cut down on libkvm warnings and such.
	Right now I'm working on going through /usr/share and moving
things over to /usr/local/dc/usr/share to hopefully fill in some of the
missing parts.
	I can post my DREAMCAST-NETBOOT kernel config if anyone is
interested.

Thanks,
Josh
Josh Tolbert
hemi@scoundrelz.net

Every time the power flickers, a squirrel gets his wings.