Subject: Re: Success! We have multi-user with swap over NFS! A few niggling issues, though...
To: Gregg C Levine <drwho8@worldnet.att.net>
From: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-dreamcast
Date: 08/28/2002 23:24:46
On Thu, Aug 29, 2002 at 02:13:13AM -0400, Gregg C Levine wrote:

 > Wonderful news! And great, even. However, according to my friends in the
 > Linux world, the notion of doing swap over NFS, is a taboo one. It just
 > refuses to work correctly. They think its because of the way the NFS

That's because Linux sucks and NetBSD rules :-)

Seriously, NFS swap has worked correctly for a VERY long time (many many
years) in NetBSD ... and the people who designed and implemented the orignal
NFS, Sun, specifically used it to swap over NFS for diskless clients (mmm,
love those old Sun3 workstations :-)

 > protocol was written by the people who wrote it. At least that's what I was
 > told, when I enquired about it, at a helpsession, at a BOF at LWE a few
 > years ago. See if its possible to have a swap file created within the
 > ramdisk, first.

Swapping to a file in a ramdisk doesn't really help you much, now does
it :-)