Subject: Standalone CD - possible?
To: None <port-dreamcast@netbsd.org>
From: Harold Gutch <logix@foobar.franken.de>
List: port-dreamcast
Date: 08/28/2002 01:47:20
Hi,

my other mail from today explains how to get NetBSD up and
running on a Dreamcast that has an ethernet-card and a local
NFS- and DHCP-server.  Is it possible to create a CD that will
just boot the kernel, mount root from the CD, and then esentially
run multiuser without _any_ interaction during startup?  I can't
tell the kernel via a keyboard where its root-filesystem is,
simply because I don't have a keyboard.  I'm aware that I will
need writable directories for things like vi, and perhaps sshd
won't let me login if it can't log to utmp and wtmp.  I'm
thinking more along the lines of "here, this is a complete NetBSD
CD-image - boot from it, your Dreamcast will have the IP-address
1.2.3.4 and will want to mount /mnt/dreamcast rw from 1.2.3.5" to
be basically all that's required to run NetBSD on the Dreamcast.

bye,
  Harold