Subject: Re: Root and dump devices?
To: Josh Tolbert <hemi@scoundrelz.net>
From: Alex Kirk <alex@schnarff.com>
List: port-dreamcast
Date: 08/27/2002 12:51:53
> When the thing boots, it sets the root
> device to /dev/gdrom0a, with a dump device of /dev/gdrom0b. After that
> point, the boot just hangs. That's probably not going to work. Is there
> any way to specify a valid dump device?

When I specify the dump device manually, I just hit <ENTER> for the default.
I don't think this is /dev/gdrom0b, though I could be wrong. If you really
wan to do it that way, try not setting the dump device.

> 	Any ideas? After I get the "static filesystem" booting (for those
> that want one), I'll work on a decent NFS/bootp/dhcpd setup. Any help you
> guys can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Honestly, though, I'd recommend going straight to NFS/bootp/dhcpd, as it's
quite simple. If you don't already have a DHCPD server running, follow your
man pages on whatever box will be providing it (BTW, if you have DHCPD
running, BOOTP is pretty much going to run automatically). This config works
for me:

host dreamcast {
                       hardware ethernet 00:D0:F1:02:AE:B1;
                       fixed-address 192.168.2.42;
                       option host-name "dreamcast";
                       next-server 192.168.2.69; #Your gateway/DHCPD box
                       option dhcp-max-message-size 1024;
                       option broadcast-address 192.168.2.255;
                       option domain-name-servers 66.92.159.2;
                       option domain-name "kirknet.net";
                       option root-path "/home/alex/dreamcast/2fs";
               }

Just replace with your individual info.

Setting up the NFS file system is just as easy. Use an /etc/exports like
this:

/home/alex/dreamcast/2fs -maproot=root -alldirs -network 192.168.2 -mask
255.255.255.0

Just make sure you have the -maproot=root command, or the Dreamcast won't
have appropriate permissions to mount the filesystem. The -alldirs isn't
strictly necessary, it just allows you to mount points further down the
filesystem if you want. -network is good for security, so some schmoe out on
the Net can't mount your directoroy (unless of course he hacks into your
internal network).

Hope that's helpful. BTW, if you get up and running, and can compile
anything without rebooting, please let me know -- I'm still having problems,
even with a fairly current (~3 weeks old, I'm told) kernel. I can't even
compile Lynx, it's kind of frustrating.

Alex Kirk