Subject: Root and dump devices?
To: None <port-dreamcast@netbsd.org>
From: Josh Tolbert <hemi@scoundrelz.net>
List: port-dreamcast
Date: 08/27/2002 01:29:03
Hi all,
	Well, my BBA, keyboard and VGA box have arrived. I'm still going
to order some 'Total Control 5' adapters so I can run the buzzard off of
my KVM switch, but for the time being this setup gives me some flexibility
in my Dreamcast hacking. The Dreamcast looks damn good on a monitor. :)
	I burned a CD (mkisofs -U is your friend) with a good kernel with
the root device set to gdrom0. When the thing boots, it sets the root
device to /dev/gdrom0a, with a dump device of /dev/gdrom0b. After that
point, the boot just hangs. That's probably not going to work. Is there
any way to specify a valid dump device? I know I can create a new kernel
without a root or dump device specified and specify them later, but I'd
like to get it booting from a static filesystem from CD before I work on
flexibility.
	Any ideas? After I get the "static filesystem" booting (for those
that want one), I'll work on a decent NFS/bootp/dhcpd setup. Any help you
guys can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,
Josh

Josh Tolbert
hemi@scoundrelz.net

Every time the power flickers, a squirrel gets his wings.