Subject: Cross-compile of world almost finished, but there's a problem.
To: None <port-dreamcast@netbsd.org>
From: Josh Tolbert <hemi@scoundrelz.net>
List: port-dreamcast
Date: 08/21/2002 11:19:15
Hello again,
	I started the cross-compile of a distribution for the Dreamcast
last night, with a DESTDIR of /usr/local/dc. The build exited with an
error, but I'll get to that in a moment.
	First off, what I do have. I've been running diffs against my i386
1.6-RC1 machine and the Dreamcast tree, and I see a few things missing
from one or the other.

bash-2.05$ diff /usr/local/dc/usr/bin /usr/bin | grep Only
Only in /usr/bin: fdformat
Only in /usr/bin: pmc
Only in /usr/bin: psbb
Only in /usr/bin: psroff
Only in /usr/local/dc/usr/bin: readlink

netbsd# diff /usr/local/dc/etc /etc | grep Only
Only in /etc: disklabels
Only in /etc: fstab
Only in /etc: fstab.sd
Only in /etc: fstab.wd
Only in /etc: ftpwelcome
Only in /etc: ld.so.conf
Only in /etc: mk.conf
Only in /usr/local/dc/etc: motd
Only in /usr/local/dc/etc: passwd.conf
Only in /usr/local/dc/etc: postinstall
Only in /etc: resolv.conf
Only in /etc: rtadvd.conf
Only in /etc: ssh.conf
Only in /etc: ssh_host_dsa_key
Only in /etc: ssh_host_dsa_key.pub
Only in /etc: ssh_host_key
Only in /etc: ssh_host_key.pub
Only in /etc: ssh_host_rsa_key
Only in /etc: ssh_host_rsa_key.pub
Only in /etc: sshd.conf
Only in /etc: supfiles
Only in /usr/local/dc/etc: systrace
Only in /etc: ttyaction
Only in /etc: usermgmt.conf

bash-2.05$ diff /usr/local/dc/sbin /sbin | grep Only
Only in /sbin: fdisk
Only in /sbin: ldconfig

bash-2.05$ diff /usr/local/dc/usr/sbin /usr/sbin | grep Only
Only in /usr/sbin: apm
Only in /usr/sbin: apmd
Only in /usr/sbin: bad144
Only in /usr/sbin: greconfig
Only in /usr/sbin: gspahextoc
Only in /usr/sbin: mopa.out
Only in /usr/local/dc/usr/sbin: mscdlabel
Only in /usr/local/dc/usr/sbin: pppdump
Only in /usr/local/dc/usr/sbin: wsmoused
Only in /usr/sbin: zzz

	There's a whole lot of libs in /usr/lib that don't exist in
/usr/local/dc/usr/lib, and everything in /usr/local/dc/usr/lib appears to
be a "current ar archive" (.a) file.
	There's also a lot of things missing from /usr/local/dc/bin, such
as ssh, zcat/diff/others...380 files exist only in /usr/bin when compared
to /usr/local/dc/bin, actually. :(
	The build crashed at:

< ./usr/share/zoneinfo/WET
< ./usr/share/zoneinfo/Zulu
< ./usr/share/zoneinfo/posixrules
checkflist: flist inconsistencies found
checkflist: key to output:
  <  file in flist but missing from DESTDIR
  >  file in DESTDIR but missing from flist
*** Error code 1

Stop.
nbmake: stopped in /usr/src/distrib/sets
*** Error code 1

Stop.
nbmake: stopped in /usr/src

	Is there anything I can do to get a "full" build of a
distribution? It looks like I should have enough for a working userland,
but I'd like to hear from others that have cross-compiled before. I
understand why the build broke, but I"m not sure what to do about it.
	I know I still need to populate /dev, but is there anything else I
need to do before editing files in /usr/local/dc/etc and try playing with
a new kernel that boots a filesystem from GD-ROM?

Thanks again,
Josh

Josh Tolbert
hemi@scoundrelz.net

Every time the power flickers, a squirrel gets his wings.