Subject: CD problems.
To: None <port-dreamcast@netbsd.org>
From: Josh Tolbert <hemi@scoundrelz.net>
List: port-dreamcast
Date: 08/19/2002 03:24:59
Hi again Dreamcast fans,
	I decided to give my built kernel a try in the DC, just to see if
I could get it to boot.
	I used my FreeBSD box for mkisofs and burncd. I followed the guide
on http://mc.pp.se/dc/cdr.html pretty closely, including using Marcus'
scramble and makeid software compiled on my FreeBSD box.
	Anyway, after writing the audio track (audio.raw) as the first
session and finding 0,11702 for the info from burncd's msinfo, I
constructed the .iso. I used "mkisofs -l -C 0,11702 -o tmp.iso
1ST_READ.BIN" where 1ST_READ.BIN is my scrambled netbsd kernel. Using the
defaults in ip.txt to create this:

Hardware ID   : SEGA SEGAKATANA
Maker ID      : SEGA ENTERPRISES
Device Info   : 0000 CD-ROM1/1
Area Symbols  : JUE
Peripherals   : E000F10
Product No    : T0000
Version       : V1.000
Release Date  : 20020819
Boot Filename : 1ST_READ.BIN
SW Maker Name : JOSH TOLBERT
Game Title    : NETBSD 1.6-RC1

I then used makeip to generate an IP.BIN. I then overwrote the first
sixteen blocks of the .iso with IP.BIN.
	The first few CDs (coasters) I made would get me to the music CD
playing screen, trying to play the four-second audio track. That was
before I refined the process to the one I've described above. The last
revision gets to the Sega license screen and just sits there.
	What did I do wrong? The disc seems to meet all of the
requirements to boot on the Dreamcast, but I must have overlooked
something. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Josh

Josh Tolbert
hemi@scoundrelz.net

Every time the power flickers, a squirrel gets his wings.