Subject: Re: Immediate reboot with filesystem on cd9660
To: Alex Kirk <alex@schnarff.com>
From: Marcus Comstedt <marcus@mc.pp.se>
List: port-dreamcast
Date: 08/03/2002 02:01:09
"Alex Kirk" <alex@schnarff.com> writes:

> I just got my Dreamcast set up with a keyboard, BBA, etc., and sat
> down and burned my bootable kernel as suggested on the HOWTO. It
> worked great; I'd love to say it was made after 9/00, but it was
> 7/00. In any case, after telling it that the root fs is on gdrom0 and
> hitting "Enter" for the dump device, I went ahead and swapped in the
> second CDROM, the one I created with sources downloaded from
> ftp://(mirror)/pub/NetBSD/arch/sh3/snapshot/19991231-coff (I used
> mkhybrid, then burned the image with Easy-CD Creator). As instructed
> to by the HOWTO, I then typed in cd9660...and had the Dreamcast reboot
> on me, instantly.

Did you remember to create the proper device nodes on the CD?

> Making things even more annoying is the fact that
> the prompt is just off of my TV screen. Is this an issue with my TV,
> or something I can deal with via the DC and/or NetBSD?

Unless you're compiling your own kernel, you'll have to adjust your
TV.  Or try using a monitor if you have one.  TV:s can show very
varying amounts of overscan, but a monitor will generally give you the
whole picture.

> Thanks in
> advance for any suggestions as to why this wouldn't work. Alternately,
> if you want to point me to nfs-booting instructions, I have a local
> OpenBSD box that I was going to be using to supply /tmp space over NFS
> anyway, and I could just let the filesystem live on that box. Alex Kirk

If you set the OpenBSD box up to act as a DHCP server for the
dreamcast, then all you should have to do is say "rtk0" for root
device.

  // Marcus