Subject: Re: help with burning bootable kernel
To: Josh Elsasser <jre@vineyard.net>
From: Marcus Comstedt <marcus@mc.pp.se>
List: port-dreamcast
Date: 06/04/2002 22:17:25
Josh Elsasser <jre@vineyard.net> writes:

> I am trying to burn a cd which boots my cross-compiled ELF kernel.
> After making several coasters I found instructions for creating a
> dreamcast-bootable binary on http://mc.pp.se/dc/ip.bin.html
>
> My question is do I need to use those gcc options for the entire
> kernel compilation, or only in the final linking phase?  Or can I just
> ignore them and objcopy -O binary and then scramble a normally
> compiled kernel?  Or is there a bootloader I can use that will load a
> standard kernel off the cd the way ipslave loads an ELF from the
> network?

You can ignore them, use objcopy and scramble a normally compiled
kernel.  The Makefile for the Dreamcast port will take care of setting
the correct load address etc.

I've been thinking about a bootloader that can get the kernel from
either a normal RockRidge CD or from BOOTP, but have not had time to
dig further into it.  Any volunteers (who unlike me know anything
about how to use libsa to create such a thing) would be nice.  :-)

  // Marcus