Subject: Re: sound device.
To: Mike Miller <mikem@ichips.intel.com>
From: Adrian McMenamin <adrian@mcmen.demon.co.uk>
List: port-dreamcast
Date: 05/15/2002 23:09:15
On Wednesday 15 May 2002 9:31 pm, Mike Miller wrote:
> >Has there been any attempt yet to get the dreamcast
> >working for the DC ?
> >
> >I think it could make a kick ass little OGG/MP3 appliance.
>
> Actually, there are a number of small projects to do this for ogg/mp3
> on CDR over at:
>
> http://www.boob.co.uk/usertools.html
>
> I don't think any directly support the BBA, but you might be able to
> use the web browser software to connect to a server and get streaming
> audio or something similar...
>
> I know there was a prototype audio driver that somebody got working
> under linux a while back, but I don't recall if it ever got past
> alpha phase...

Well, I wrote it and it certainly got past the alpha phase :->

It works fine, it could be better - if soemone reliably hacked the DC's G2 DMA
- but will play MP3s without any problem.

I offered to assist someone/anyone on this list write a netbsd driver but was
told to more or less get lost -----

"The dreamcast project itself was necessarily finite. Once the machine
support was written, what more were you expecting?"

However, seeing that this project might have moved from the past imperfect to
the present tense again my offer still stands. Anybody want to take me up on
it?

Adrian