Subject: Re: A continual state of booting.
To: Sarah <g@SDF.LONESTAR.ORG>
From: M. R. Brown <mrbrown@0xd6.org>
List: port-dreamcast
Date: 05/12/2002 13:05:26
--A6N2fC+uXW/VQSAv

* Sarah <g@SDF.LONESTAR.ORG> on Sun, May 12, 2002:

>=20
> I can compile netbsd for the dreamcast just fine. One funny thing was that
> during the linking process ld reported that it could not find start and
> that it was just defaulting to 8c010000.

This is normal if you don't have the start symbol defined.  1ST_READ.BIN (or
whatever binary that is specified in IP.BIN) is always loaded at 0x8c010000.
As long as netbsd's entry point is the first bit of code in the .text segme=
nt,
you don't need start (or if it isn't just define start to branch to the real
netbsd startup code).  Next time ignore the warning and you should be fine.

> So I compiled it with
> .ascii "shiggity shiggity shwa" at start in locore.S and sure enough
> "shiggity shiggity shwa" appeared at the beginning of my 'sh-elf-objcopy
> -O binary netbsd'ed binary. All was good. I scrambled it and prepaired an
> IP.BIN and wrote a disk, stuck it in my dreamcast, and turned it on. It
> booted the cd and got to the sega license screen and then reset. :(
>=20

That's because the Dreamcast is attempting to execute "shiggity shiggity
shwa" as valid SH-4 machine code.  Obviously that won't work :).

M. R.

--A6N2fC+uXW/VQSAv

--A6N2fC+uXW/VQSAv--