Subject: Accomplishments to shoot for.
To: None <port-dreamcast@netbsd.org>
From: Christopher John Thomas <christopher.thomas@rogers.com>
List: port-dreamcast
Date: 01/09/2002 00:44:11
On Tue, 8 Jan 2002, Jack Twilley wrote:

> The archives did seem to be more active and informative than the
> current state.  I wonder if it's because the project has lost its
> allure as it's nearly functional now -- no more sexy accomplishments
> that can be reasonably accomplished in a short amount of time.

  I don't know about the "short time" part, but using my Dreamcast as an
embedded controller is only half of the reason I wanted to load a *NIX on
to it - the other reason being to write games and other graphical
applications I could burn for my friends.

  An X server or even a dumb frame-buffer driver would be wonderful. I
haven't heard a peep about that for BSD.

  An accelerated driver of some kind for the PVR2 chipset in the Dreamcast
would be a bonus if we want to port anything with a higher polycount than
Quake I to Dreamcast. Having worked in the graphics industry, I know
exactly how much work would be needed to reverse-engineer the required
register and coding information, this would be Really, Really Useful to
quite a number of people, and clean-rooming existing libraries might be an
option (my store-bought games have a copyright notice but no draconian
EULA).

  I haven't heard a peep about this for *either* free *NIX branch.

  Is there a great project in the works that I'm not aware of, or do
people just not care very much about using the Dreamcast outside of text
mode?

Ttyl,
				-Christopher Thomas