Subject: Re: Can't make a boot CD
To: Andrew Gillham <gillham@vaultron.com>
From: Jack Twilley <jmt@twilley.org>
List: port-dreamcast
Date: 12/27/2001 13:34:21
Jack> I downloaded the latest version of DiskJuggler (v4.0?) from
Jack> their website which installed without error.  The image I got
Jack> came out of a zip file that was definitely not corrupt.

Jack> I suspect that I need to try an older version of the software,
Jack> but I'm not sure, and I'm blowing through blanks.  If anyone
Jack> else has any other suggestions, I'd love to hear them,
Jack> especially on a script that can be used to build a boot disk
Jack> from NetBSD or FreeBSD.

Andrew> This is about as close to a script as you will get:
Andrew> http://mc.pp.se/dc/cdr.html

And that's unfortunate, because not only does that page contradict the
HOWTO on the NetBSD/Dreamcast website, it doesn't seem to work.

I ran those cdrecord commands by hand on a Windows box and the other
commands (dd and mkisofs, etc.) on a FreeBSD box, replacing
1ST_READ.BIN with the NetBSD scrambled kernel binary file from the
other web site (can't recall off the top of my head) and it didn't
work.  I tried a few other variations, and it also didn't work.  The
lack of error messages makes this a very frustrating experience.

I'm not completely stupid.  I have zero experience with NetBSD, but
quite a bit in other variants of Unix going back more than a decade.
I have zero experience with burning CD's.  If someone out there could
create a recipe using the following ingredients:

 * unscrambled NetBSD kernel for SuperH (or whatever)
 * IP.BIN
 * an audio file (or not)
 * C source to whatever utilities are necessary

... and publish that recipe as an executable script, it would help.

I haven't yet gotten a CD burner for my FreeBSD box.  When I do, I'll
post the script I'll be creating, and maybe then people can pick at it
and tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Andrew> -Andrew

Jack.
--