Subject: Re: Steps for netbooting the dreamcast
To: Andy Michaels <lego@apollo.gti.net>
From: Andy R <quadreverb@yahoo.com>
List: port-dreamcast
Date: 12/05/2001 16:45:41
I'm willing to do the documentation legwork. I've got
some suggestions so far from some good folks, but I'd
like to look at what you have. I haven't actually
started the work required to boot it yet either but I
have a better starting point.

So far, I think the most efficient way to do it is to
give the very basic steps of what is needed, a server
with this that and the other set up, a kernel with
this and that set up, and a boot disk with yada yada
set up, and then give the obligatory RTFMs for each
specific step. I did some RTFM on diskless and the
related subjects in there, but I became confused
because it's all so different depending on what
platform you are talking about. Plus, I've never
(knowingly) netbooted something in my life so that
doesn't help any either.

Now, I'm hoping that the thing will run semi reliably
in multi-user mode because that's what makes this all
worthwhile. It would also be nice to know if it can be
rebooted from remote by just keeping the boot disk in
there or whatever. I don't think I've seen that one
answered yet either... Both of these will be pretty
important to any major use of the dreamcast with
NetBSD.

(I probably should do a little reading at the Linux
site too, but I haven't because this NetBSD stuff is
much cooler :).

Andy