Subject: Re: another question about making CDs
To: David W. Robinson <dwrob@gasou.edu>
From: Andy R <quadreverb@yahoo.com>
List: port-dreamcast
Date: 12/03/2001 05:17:36
--- "David W. Robinson" <dwrob@gasou.edu> wrote:
>   I followed the howto and then searched through the
> list archive to
> find the actual site to download the zipped files
> from.
>
> I downloaded these:
>
> base.tgz
> comp.tgz
> etc.tgz
> games.tgz
> man.tgz
> misc.tgz
> text.tgz
>
> When I unzipped them, they formed a nice Unix file
> tree, but there is no
> kernel as far as I can see (does *BSD lack a /boot
> directory?) I did see
> a file called netbsd.GENERIC.gz in a nearby
> directory, but I don't know
> what to do with it, or if it's even the kernel. I
> don't know where the
> kernel goes in a #BSD system or what it's called
> (obviously not vmlinux!).
>
> Thanks for any help you can give me.
>
> -- DR

Ooh, forget anything you know about Linux when dealing
with BSD... There's no /boot, no vmlinuz (it's not
Linux!) and no lilo. The kernel image in those
tarballs is not the one to use, you have to burn the
kernel seperately onto another disc by a special
method that puts an audio track first in line.

In the how to, it says you need to download a kernel
image. There is a link to the kernel images, and one
in particular for the DiscJuggler program to burn
under windows. That's the one I used. If you download
DiscJuggler, it's pretty simple from there. So burn
that, then extract all the coff hpcsh tarballs to a
directory and burn them to a CD as well. Then follow
the directions on booting and you should be there.

Andy