Subject: Re: another question about making CDs
To: <>
From: David W. Robinson <dwrob@gasou.edu>
List: port-dreamcast
Date: 12/02/2001 23:18:53
find the actual site to download the zipped files from.

I downloaded these:

base.tgz
comp.tgz
etc.tgz
games.tgz
man.tgz
misc.tgz
text.tgz

When I unzipped them, they formed a nice Unix file tree, but there is no
kernel as far as I can see (does *BSD lack a /boot directory?) I did see
a file called netbsd.GENERIC.gz in a nearby directory, but I don't know
what to do with it, or if it's even the kernel. I don't know where the
kernel goes in a #BSD system or what it's called (obviously not vmlinux!).

Thanks for any help you can give me.

-- DR

Andy R wrote:

>As far as I know, and as far as the how to says, you
>need 2 cds to boot the machine if you are going to be
>using the root filesystem from cd. You need the one
>with the kernel, which needs to be burned a certain
>way because it is non standard, then when it asks for
>the root filesystem, you pop it out and then put in
>the root filesystem cd.
>
>Have you looked at the how to? It's pretty good for
>the most part, but for the "tarballs" it talks about,
>you need to be sure to get the coff ones.
>
>Andy
>
>--- "David W. Robinson" <dwrob@gasou.edu> wrote:
>
>>I am new to the Dreamcast but even more new to
>>NetBSD (coming from
>>Linux). I have tried to build a root filesystem from
>>the zipped packages
>>on the ftp server, but I don't know what to do with
>>the kernel or even
>>where to get it. Is netbsd.GENERIC.gz the file I
>>want? What should it be
>>renamed to, if anything? Where in the file system
>>does it go?
>>
>>I thought I would ask before wasting any more blank
>>CD-Rs on trial and
>>error.
>>
>>-- David Robinson

>Buy the perfect holiday gifts at Yahoo! Shopping.
>http://shopping.yahoo.com

--------------030504080805090704000307

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
       I followed the howto and then searched through the list archive to
find the actual site to download the zipped files from. <br>
 I downloaded these:<br>
 base.tgz<br>
 comp.tgz<br>
 etc.tgz<br>
 games.tgz<br>
 man.tgz<br>
 misc.tgz<br>
 text.tgz<br>
 When I unzipped them, they formed a nice Unix file tree, but there is no
kernel as far as I can see (does *BSD lack a /boot directory?) I did see a
file called netbsd.GENERIC.gz in a nearby directory, but I don't know what
to do with it, or if it's even the kernel. I don't know where the kernel goes
in a #BSD system or what it's called (obviously not vmlinux!).<br>
 Thanks for any help you can give me.<br>
 -- DR<br>
Andy R wrote:<br>

--------------030504080805090704000307--