Subject: Steps for netbooting the dreamcast
To: None <port-dreamcast@netbsd.org>
From: Andy R <quadreverb@yahoo.com>
List: port-dreamcast
Date: 12/02/2001 10:31:18
I've finally decided to set aside some time to get my
dreamcast booted up with rw nfs filesystems so I can
actually use it. I guess my first question is, will it
run semi-stably in multi-user mode? If not, then I'll
hold off...

Ok, I've seen a lot of advice given about reading the
diskless howto and the diskless man page. Let me see
if I have this right:

1. Set up my NetBSD/i386 box as a dhcp, nfs and tftpd
server.
2. Put the tarball sets into an exported nfs rw
directory.
3. Make a kernel that understands it needs to nfs
mount all it's filesystems, but put it where? The tftp
directory?
4. Make a boot disk with a kernel that instructs the
machine to get an IP address via dhcp, then load a
kernel via tftpd, then transfer control to the tftpd
loaded kernel, which then mounts it's directories via
nfs.

Does anyone have a boot cd that that does this already
that I can download and write?

Do I have to use dhcp? What if I have a static address
for the dreamcast in my 192.168.xxx.xxx network?

Sorry for the questions. I have RTFM already, but it's
still quite vague to me as to how to do this. Maybe I
need to RTFOM (other manual?). If so, some guidance
would be appreciated. I want to write a short how-to
on this when I'm done that maybe can be used by
someone else.

Thanks,
Andy