Subject: Re: again, console only possible ??
To: Joesh Juphland <part_lion@hotmail.com>
From: smoerk <smoerk@gmx.de>
List: port-dreamcast
Date: 09/11/2001 03:04:36
On Mon, 10 Sep 2001 09:33:12 -0600, Joesh Juphland wrote:

>Is it possible to perform every function of running dreamcast netBSD
>(booting for first time, setup, running, etc.) using _only_ a serial console
>?
>
>(presumably connected to hyperterminal on my laptop)
>
>Or is there some step involved that I need a keyboard for ?
>
>I would like to not buy a keyboard or ever use one with the DC, and use
>serial console only for everything.  Possible ??

I didn't boot NetBSD on the Dreamcast, but I don't know a reason why
this should not be possible. It's NetBSD and if NetBSD/DC supports the
serial port, then it should be possible to use a terminal (software or
hardware) instead of the keyboard.

Thank you for this idea, I never thought of it, so hopefully we don't
need a keyboard for the DC and could save some space on the desk...

Does the DC only have one serial port?