Subject: Re: newbie problems....
To: None <sylvain.mouly@mc2.net, port-dreamcast@NetBSD.org>
From: Adrian McMenamin <adrian@mcmen.demon.co.uk>
List: port-dreamcast
Date: 09/10/2001 10:52:15
On Monday 10 September 2001 10:43 am, sylvain.mouly@mc2.net wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'd love NetBSD to run on my dreamcast, but after reading all FAQs and
> articles i still
> have problems....
> here's my config:
>      French Dreamcast with BBA (brand new one, but seems ok with boot
> CDRom, linux works well), keyboard and VGA Box
>      Linux Server for NFS and for burning CD
> I burn the boot CD, and the dreamcast prompt me for the root.
> To burn the root CD, i untar the archives from
> ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/hpcsh/snapshot/20010610-hpcsh-sh3el-el
> f/binary/sets/
> then i run the MAKEDEV all. Linux gives me an error while running the
> MAKEDEV because the operator
> group was missing, but i also tried creating it before running the MAKEDEV.
> and then i burn everything with mkisofs/cdrecord.
>
> when the dreamcast ask me for the root, i change for the root CD (following
> the HOWTO instructions),
> the dreamcast seems to read something for several seconds and then hangs.
> There's no more message or error on the screen.
> Does anybody have an idea ?
> thank you
>                                    Sylvain
Well, my Linux machine reported lots of errors on the MAKEDEV script too, but
it also appeared to make the devices.

It appears - from an earlier posting (so this is not scientific) - that you
need to use the COFF tarballs. I did this this weekend and it worked. So try
that.

NB: I think you'll also have to use ifconfig to configure the BBA.