Subject: you can't get there from here
To: None <port-dreamcast@netbsd.org>
From: maximum entropy <entropy@tappedin.com>
List: port-dreamcast
Date: 07/28/2001 02:10:08
OK, I *finally* managed to burn an IP slave disc.

I gave up on my lousy HP burner and finally bought a new Plextor since
I've heard good things about them.  I then spent a few hours trying to
get DicJuggler 2 to run under Windows ME.

I gave up on DJ2 as hopeless after a while, and installed cdrecord on
the ME box.  Following the directions on Marcus's page, I then
proceeded to burn about 5 coasters.

I started trying things at random, and finally decided that the output
from "cdrecord -msinfo" of "-150,11552" was too weird looking.  So I
tried using "0,11552" with mkisofs instead, and that finally gave me a
working disc.

So I went looking for something to load, and was disappointed to see
that the dreamcast snapshot directory was empty.

Searching through the archives, I found some messages saying to use
the stuff at
ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/hpcsh/snapshot/20010610-hpcsh-sh3el-elf/

So I got that, but the IP loader didn't like the kernel it contained.
So I got the kernel from http://www.roadsign.com/dc/netbsd.gz.bin and
was able to load that.

I installed the files from the above snapshot on my NFS server, and
did the "sh MAKEDEV all" in its dev directory.  I set up dhcpd with
the client information.  Now I can boot the kernel, and when it asks
for a root I answer "rtk0".

The dreamcast then gets its DHCP info, and shows the correct server
and directory for its root filesystem.  Then it says:
root file system type: nfs
...and it hangs.

tcpdump shows some very slow NFS activity.  Some more searching in the
archives suggested that the dreamcast wants to be on a full duplex
port.  I'm using a switch, and the LEDs indicate that the port has
negotiated full duplex.  I have tried forcing the port to 10Mbit full
duplex and 100Mbit full duplex, but it makes no difference and hangs
at the same point.

I'm starting to think that this is all just a cruel joke.  Am I using
the right files?  If not, where are the right files?  And why aren't
they in arch/dreamcast on the FTP server?

Help!

Thanks,
entropy