Subject: PS2 Linux Kit: Too good to be true; I knew it.
To: Dreamcast Dev NetBSD List <port-dreamcast@netbsd.org>
From: RC5Stint <rc5stint@yahoo.com>
List: port-dreamcast
Date: 07/13/2001 21:22:28
Sony is withholding important source files!

Someone ought to sue the bastards for breaking the GPL.  This will teach
other companies around the world not to mess with open source.

This is just the same shit they pulled with the source code to PS2 YABASIC.

RC5Stint
FROM: YAEGASHI Takeshi <t@keshi.org>
DATE: 07/12/2001 19:22:03
SUBJECT: RE: [Ps2hacking-devel] No source!

In the message <20010624042627B.t@keshi.org>,
YAEGASHI Takeshi <t@keshi.org> wrote:

> I've noticed that sources of some kernel modules are
> not provided by PS2 Linux kit.  They include:
>
> 	/lib/modules/2.2.1_ps2/misc/ps2cdvd.o
> 	/lib/modules/2.2.1_ps2/misc/ps2mc.o
> 	/lib/modules/2.2.1_ps2/misc/ps2pad.o
> 	/lib/modules/2.2.1_ps2/misc/ps2sd.o
> 	/lib/modules/2.2.1_t10000/misc/ps2cdvd.o
> 	/lib/modules/2.2.1_t10000/misc/ps2mc.o
> 	/lib/modules/2.2.1_t10000/misc/ps2pad.o
> 	/lib/modules/2.2.1_t10000/misc/ps2sd.o
>
> They are owned by kernel-modules-2.2.1_ps2-6 package
> and its SRPM has only tar'ed binaries.  It also has
> other binaries obviously under GPL, which may become
> a license problem.
>
> This means that we cannot get the specs for some important
> devices: CD/DVD drive, memory card, game pad, sound device.
>
> I'm afraid that this could discourage people's effort
> to port another kernel (including the latest Linux, BSD, eCos)
> to PS2 here and there.
>
> I suspect there are more files without source in the kit.  I
> asked SCEI about this issue, hope I can get the answer on
> Monday.

I completely forgot to report the particulars to this list.

I received the answer by mail from SCEI at June 29.  They admit there are
some kernel modules without sources in the PS2 Linux kit, and they have no
plan to ever release the sources.
--
YAEGASHI Takeshi <t@keshi.org> <takeshi@yaegashi.jp>