Subject: Re: Two questions from a new NetBSD for Dreamcast user
To: RC5Stint <rc5stint@yahoo.com>
From: M. R. Brown <mrbrown@0xd6.org>
List: port-dreamcast
Date: 07/11/2001 09:56:19
* RC5Stint <rc5stint@yahoo.com> on Wed, Jul 11, 2001:

> I know this is probably courting a charge of heresy, but have you looked at
> DCLinux? ;-)  They've made a whole lot of progress in the last few months
> (NetBSD/Dreamcast was farther along for a long, long time.)

Not necessarily true.  The framebuffer and BBA has been supported in
LinuxDC since March, and the "DCLinux" (Yaegashi's port) has had fb support
since late 2000.  BTW, there is not much (if anything) in LinuxDC
(code-wise, of course) that NetBSD can benefit from ... I still need to
hammer out a GDC driver ;-).

> They already have X and Mesa ported (framebuffer only, though.)  People are
> working on a PowerVR2-enabled driver for DC Mesa, as we speak.

People are?  Where?

The problem is writing a framebuffer impl. that actually attempts to do 2D
(and 3D) accel. for blitting operations, the current impl. is "raw"
framebuffer access, which happens to be obscenely slow on the DC.  The only
Mesa port that I've seen (which is native, BTW) uses software rendering.

M. R.