Subject: Re: bootable root CD...
To: Andy Michaels <lego@apollo.gti.net>
From: Nathan Mahon <nate@aftershock.blackhat.net>
List: port-dreamcast
Date: 06/29/2001 14:05:13
WEll... yes ... there are reasons...

1. We already have a system where we can boot one cd and mount the root of
another cd.... I'm not sure whether you need two disks... (i doubt you
do).  This of course is a Read-only setup.
2. This particular system requires the "memory file system" ... and i read
this to be the same as a ramdisk... regardless...  it's not feasible to
load all of the following, and i'm putting estimates on this, as much for
conversation as anything...
16 mb ram
Kernel -> ~1.3 mb
usable ram -> ~4 mb
minimal RW FS -> 1 mb, but you won't be able to do anything with it....
minimal RW FS -> 20 mb, for functionality.

you probably need more ram, and maybe more for the kernel... so it doesn't
add up very well to be self contained...

n8