Subject: Re: Nice Dreamcast CD images or pre-packaged tarba
To: None <port-dreamcast@netbsd.org>
From: Brendan Dowling <crypt@mminternet.com>
List: port-dreamcast
Date: 06/15/2001 13:08:48
On Fri, Jun 15, 2001 at 02:14:56PM -0400, David@ixibbs.iximd.com wrote:
> I was talking about not being able to do the same thing with a x86 AND
> VCR  as with a DC AND VCR. Well, you wouldn't really need a computer
> at all to debgug the boot, just a VCR to record the output of the
> dreamcast.  Maybe you're talking about something else.  Please
> clarify.

This is getting a little off topic, but some VGA cards which also have a
video out will automatically show everything on the video out (including
the BIOS boot messages, text modes, etc).  The card that I have which
does this is an older ATI All-in-Wonder Pro.

In an attemt to bring this back on topic, I will suggest you all use the
serial port on the Dreamcast.  You'll need to build or buy an adapter
to convert the Dreamcast serial (0 to 3.3V) to a standard RS232 serial
(+12 to -12).  But once you do that, you'll be able to have a serial console
which will be much more convenient for debugging.

Brendan Dowling